Monday, December 17, 2012

Drunk Monkey Sewing - Take 2!

After a few weeks of sickness, more sickness and a few kids Christmas Concerts I finally got up the energy to work on the Eye Spy Quilt or as I like to call it 'the Drunk Monkey quilt'.  I refer to it as the Drunk Monkey quilt because my machine quilting is SO horrible on this quilt it looks as though a monkey could have sewn it after a few alcoholic beverages.

From far away it doesn't look to bad:


The backing isn't too bad either:


But when you get real close - you can see the 'magic' of the Drunk Monkey in action:


There is nary a straight line to be seen......


That being said, I have learned MANY a lesson working on this quilt:

  • My accuracy has improved over the course of the past year and a half that I have been working on this quilt.  Some seams are fantastic (my later work) and some aren't (the blocks that I did at the beginning of the quilt.  I need to take my time and continue to improve on my accuracy with piecing.  
  • I will NEVER.EVER.NEVER.EVER purchase and use poly batting.  E-V-E-R.  I made the mistake of getting talked into it since the the quilt store did not have the cotton batting I wanted and I wanted to work on the quilt so bad that I just grabbed what was available.  
  • I need to pull my quilt tighter when I am making the quilt sandwich - I think my top was a little too loose so I got some puckering when I quilted the top. 
  • I need to lighten up on myself - every quilt is able to teach me a lesson or two (this one more than a few lessons were taught!) and I am a very occasional quilter.  Practice makes perfect and if I want to get better I need to put in some extra time and I will get better.  
Drunk Monkey sewing aside, I know the girls are going to LOVE the quilt when I get the binding on in the next few days (going to try to machine the binding on which should be interesting!).  

Thanks for stopping by!  See you tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...